Out of the Way at Last

A roving reporter, interviewing people the day after, would have gotten reactions like this: A "RELIGIOUS" PERSON: It's a good thing he's safely out of the way. Far too much a fanatic for my way of thinking. Why, his ideas would have blown our religion sky-high!

A PASSER-BY: He cured my son. He used to visit our home. We loved him very much. I'll miss him.

A MEMBER OF THE SANHEDRIN: Praise be to God that a blasphemer has been killed! This man's dangerous notions, and his claims to be Messiah were lunacy, pure and simple. It's a lucky thing we were able to get rid of him when we did.

PILATE (the official viewpoint of a man who has rationalized a guilty conscience) : Peace has been preserved! Justice has triumphed! The power of Rome is secure! All hail to Caesar!

PILATE (the inner thoughts): I wonder. . . . Couldn't see anything so bad about him. He seemed, in fact, rather like a king. . . . There can't be any truth to what his followers believed about him. . . . Still, I wonder.

A DISCIPLE: Well, this is the end. I never really thought they could do him in. I was sure God would come to his aid. But we'll just have to face it. He had a beautiful dream, but it was only a dream, and I was foolish to think it was reality. My best move is to get back to Galilee and start up my fishing business again. I've learned my lesson.

It is supremely ironic that the day when men were surest that they were rid of Jesus was the day before his resurrection.

No comments: